Saturday, November 08, 2008

Topband Contest

Well, i'm listening to topband at the moment on my Yaesu FT-817. It's the club station contest and I am truely amazed!
I have never heard so many stations on 160m before!
Stations from all over the country coming in, all club stations and some with some great antennas. Although I can hear them, I don't have enough power to work these stations with the FT-817, only about 4 -5watts and a piece of wet string as an antenna. I'm listening to G0RAF at RAF Waddington in Lincolnshire at the moment, a terrific signal, but he can't hear me! I am very tempted to bring down my FT101E from the loft and power it up just to see what I can work while there are so many stations on Topband.
Gosh... I remember the days when I went on air every night on 160m with my AM rig, lots of stations then back in the 1970's, nowadays you are lucky to hear anyone on topband. Tonight shows just how good topband can be!
Oh...its 11.00pm and the contest has just finished, topband is completely dead again!

No comments: