Saturday, July 05, 2008

Disco Diva!

Back in 1991 I became a DJ!
I can't believe that some of this equipment is being used at this moment at school in the same hall that it was was originally designed for...
The story...family night discos at The Moss School where my children are and one night the disco does not turn up. The hall is full of parents and children waiting for a disco and we have a problem. Some quick thinking and I decided to wheel in the school hi-fi connect it up and run home to get some records and tapes along with a couple of children. We now had a disco!
I became a DJ overnight and had a great night, the parents and kids didn't even notice the lack of disco! After this I decided to build some equipment and have a disco of my own to use in school. I have lost count of the number of discos that I have done over the years, first with two twin SP25 decks and then added one and even two CD players. We had flashing lights and a superb 100 watt FET Amp (Kit from Maplin) Speakers are brilliant, I later added tweeters which further improved the quality. A couple of years later I bought a Maplin Mixer Unit which I still use today.
The photo shows the new equipment ready be used along with my BBC Computer and twin disc drives, printer and modem in 1991.
On Friday in our new school building (Re-built The Moss School) we presented our Summer production in the same hall area as 1991 and with the same equipment - it still works!!


No comments: