Thursday, July 26, 2007

Starting out!



This picture was taken back in June 1971, I was 17 at the time and had just taken my Radio Amateur's Exam (RAE). You can see my faithful R109A Receiver and next to it my WS38 set powered by a 90 volt battery! The power for the R109A can be seen under the bench, 2x 6 volt motor bike batteries given to me my Arthur, G3JJM. Arthur managed to secure the R109A from a shop on Fold's Rd in Bolton who sold ex-government communications stuff...cost £1. 50p. I also bought the WS38 set from there as well. The shop moved to St Georges Rd and this became a hive of local 'pirates' who could obtain all sorts of equipment to cause havoc on 160m! I used to enjoy visiting the shop while at college, usually in that awful break time between 4.00 and 5.30 when I had to go back to college for night school. At the time I worked for Telefusion as an apprentice and went to college one day a week.

No comments: