Tuesday, July 03, 2012

I got a Raspberry Pi



I waited weeks, but here it is...my very own Raspberry Pi!

I'm not sure what to make of it yet, I haven't connected it and don't really know what to do with it yet. I just had to get one because it brings back memories of my first attempts in computer programming.

I remember going on a night school course at BIHE in Bolton to learn abot BASIC programming on a huge PDP11 computer with punch tape to save my work. Later, when I was doing my degree with the Open University, they sent me a computer to use for my course. It didn't have an operating system and used an 8080 CPU, I had to programme it in 'assembly' language and was fun to use.

Now when I got my Sinclair Spectrum I learned to programme in BASIC, FORTRAN, COBOL and even Machine Code. I think my 'peak' was when I was able to write programmes in Machine Code to control an interface that controlled my Modem. I was able to auto-dial and auto answer communication on what is now the Internet.

It should be fun to use the Raspberry Pi!

No comments: